Firefox Google Chrome Opera

No Size Limit on Google Chrome

Yesterday I was talking with another colleague about Google Chrome and why he won’t use it anymore.


Of course I was skeptical with that statement, but his HDD was running out of space – fast.  On my Windows 7 computer I checked Google Chrome on my PC and I’m using about 350MB of cache.  Well, that’s a drop in the bucket on a 160GB HDD, but left unchecked, I can see it growing to several GB in no time.  Nowhere can I find an option to set the size limit of my cache folder.  I checked IE 8 and Firefox 3.5.3 and both can be configured to any size I want.  My cache settings for both browsers is set for 50MB.

The same can be said on my Ubuntu PC.  I can’t set a cache size limit in Google Chrome.  I can set the cache size of Firefox 3.5.2 and Opera 10.10 to 50MB each.

Why would Google want me to fill my HDD with Internet cache?  Do they want me to remember empty my cache on every time I start or close Chrome.  This is a basic function of every browser that I’ve used.  Talk about poor programming or short-sightedness on their part.

LogMeIn Windows XP

Remote Support Using LogMeIn to Resolve an Outlook Express Problem

The last several days, my brothers and I kept receiving a ton of strange e-mails from my Mom. These messages were coming in small chunks of 62 k in size, totalling 48 individual messages. At first I blew it off think my Mom sent something by mistake. We kept receiving these messages (all 48 of them) twice a day for three days. So I sent an e-mail to my brothers telling them I would fix her PC.

I live about 5 hours driving time away from my parents; so making a quick stop to see what’s wrong, get a free meal, and have a little chat is not an option. So I had my Mom do a little trouble shooting for me with the directions I gave her over the phone. No problems found. While we were troubleshooting, I asked Mom a few questions about this issue; when did this start happening, did one of your friends send you some spam or a virus, were your friends experiencing the same problem as you.  All of her friends are having the same problem as my brothers and I.  What I needed to do was sit in front of the PC try a few things and see what I can do.  I tried to run Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection, but it would not connect even though Mom enabled it for me.

Then I remember a tool my friend told me about called LogMeIn. Setting up an account only took a few minutes. After going through the e-mail verification, I had my Mom connect to the LogMeIn website, gave her my username and password (temp password that I am not using anywhere), and install the local client software. Since I was using Windows XP to help trouble shoot her problems, I used Internet Explorer to connect and take control of her PC.

I had Symantec Client Security conduct a full scan and then opened her e-mail application. The first test was sending a small text only message to myself. E-mail received correctly. So then I sent an e-mail with a 1.5 MB attachment. Bingo! Outlook Express stated it was going to break apart the message into 62k chunks, do I want to proceed. NO!!!! Since I didn’t know where to find the settings quickly, I Googled “Outlook Express break apart messages larger than” and found plenty of web sites to correct the problem. Here are the steps to resolve this issue:

  • From the Menu bar in Outlook Express, select Tools then Accounts
  • Click the mail account and then the Properties button on the right
  • Click the Advance tab
  • Under Sending, remove the check mark from “Break apart messages large than…”
  • Click the OK button and then click the Close button.

I sent three e-mails over 10 MB in size to myself as a test.  All messages arrived as they should. I disabled Remote Desktop Connection before disconnecting.

Somethings I noticed about using LogMeIn.  Although I can connect from with Ubuntu Linux using Firefox, many features were not available to me;  turning off the client wallpaper (even though it was checked), the screen refresh was painfully slow, and I could not get the remote connection to open in a new window or tab.  This might be due to the fact LogMeIn uses ActiveX.  However while writing this blog I found something that I might try out regarding using Linux with LogMeIn.  Running the same software under Windows was a completely different experience.  Everything worked as it should.

I like this product and would recommend it to anyone who needs to connect remotely.