After I got back from the gym this morning, I tried to start my Dell Dimension 8200 PC. The word being tried. Of course I checked the power strip, made sure everything was plugged in, blah blah blah.
Finally the after holding the power button in, I was able to boot my PC. Looks like I have some home PC work to do this weekend. If I can’t get it fix, I will purchase a new Dell PC to replace the old 7 year 8200.
UPDATE: April 3, 2009
I was able to complete the backup of my XP HDD to an external USB HDD. Since the connection is USB 1.1 (at a whopping 12Mbit/s) it took all night. I will make a backup of my Ubuntu /home partition, which will take all night again, and I should be good to go incase the PC stops working. If I can find a good sale price for a USB 2.0 PCI card, then maybe I’ll purchase it.
According to wikipedia, USB 3.0 “SuperSpeed” will be out in 2009 or 2010. It would be nice to have, but my PC is old, and I really don’t want to pump too much money into upgrading it.
I just read that Microsoft is planning on releaseing SP2 for Office 2007, as soon as April. However, release dates always get pushed back so who knows when it will be released. Although I am not a hugh Microsoft fan, I have to admit I like Office 2007, and Outlook is my e-mail client for my XP box.
I usually wait about a month before I download and install any service packs, just in case there is an unknown bug with the installation or a performance hit.
Over the weekend I tried Ubuntu 9.04 beta using the Live-CD. Since I was using the Live-CD mode, I did not see any increase in performance with the file system, nor did I expect to. However, I was disappointed with the fact Evolution 2.26 was not able to import PST files. A friend of mine sent me a link from bugs.launchpad.net. From what it looks like to us, they are working on the issue.
I also talked about using the Live-CD to a colleague at work. I explained how I was going to update Ubuntu from 8.10 to 9.04. He asked about my home profile and if I was going to back it up. I said I was planning on backing it up, but I also explained that my home folder is on a separate partition. So replacing one Linux distro with another is no big deal. Just have to remember not to wipe out that partition, and instruct Linux that is where /home resides.
After playing around with Ubuntu 9.04 Linux using the Live-CD, I got my bicycle out. I gave my bike a one over and decided to purchase new pedals. The ones that came with the bike were plastic. They served me well for two years, but when it rains, my feet slip off.
So I went to my favourite bike shop Wooden Wheels (where I bought my bike and gear), to pick up a new set of metal pedals with a good grip. Unfortunately I arrived 5 minutes after they closed. So I made a trip across town to Performance Bicycle to see if they were open. I was able to get the pedals I wanted, for the same price I saw at Wooden Wheels.
I purchased a set of Forté ATB Comp Pedals. Installation was easy, a no-brainer as long as yo can operate a wrench, and I was off enjoying the late afternoon an a bike ride. Here are some pictures of my bike and the pedals I bought. For $21.99, they were a great bargain.
The family and I went to the mall today looking for Easter outfits. We found some great bargins on shoes, and outfits for everyone. We waved to the Easter Bunny, and ran around all the stores. I went into the Apple Store, checked out an iPhone and accidentally dropped it. It was OK. Good plastics. It was cool to try it out, but I like my LG phone and other service provider.
I’ve been using different Linux distros over the past nine years. I come to like several of them. My top two are Ubuntu 8.10 and openSUSE 11.1. And I am looking forward to upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04 in April. A good friend of mine installed the beta this weekend, and he noticed a big difference with the entire process. In under one minute he can boot the PC, enter in his user name and password, connect to his home wireless, and be ready for any PC related task. Nice…any chance to reduce the boot time is always a bonus.
I am looking forward to Evolution being able to import PST files without going through third party software. I want to migrate my away from Windows XP and become 95% Linux. The other 5% of the time is for work related stuff, and for providing IT Support on the side.
There are other features coming Ubuntu 9.04, and you can read about them by clicking on the Ubuntu Countdown picture.